jaZip for Linux Version 0.34
jaZip is a FREE program for maintaing your Iomega Zip and/or Jaz drive(s) and disks under Linux.
This program combines Grant Guenther's original command line utility, ziptool, with Jaz drive
support, a nice X interface and additional utilities to allow users to easily mount
and unmount disks. The interface is based on version 0.88 of the
Take a look at the jaZip FAQ
Current jaZip users: download the new icons
for identifying jaZip in your window manager.
- Support for Parallel, SCSI, and ATAPI interface Zip drives (With proper kernel support. See the FAQ)
- Support for 1G and 2G SCSI Jaz drives
- Support for the new 250 MB Zip drives (I hope; please confirm)
- Autodetect the type of drive (Jaz or Zip)
- Change the write protection status of a disk
- Query the write protection status of a disk
- Mount and unmount disks as an ordinary user (improved)
- Autodetect the format of the disk in the drive
- Several icons are now included for placing jaZip neatly in your window manager.
- Eject a disk
- Auto-unmount on Eject
Notes for people upgrading to 0.34:
- This upgrade is highly recommended as it fixes an exploitable buffer overflow that was present in all versions prior to 0.33.
- Now supports glibc version 2.2.
- By popular demand, jaZip once again requires you to maintain a configuration file.
- The configuration file is called /etc/jazip.conf, and resembles /etc/fstab. It should be self-explanatory.
- Since filesystem type is now determined by directly reading the partition table, you may now keep any type of filesystem on any partition. No restrictions except that each disk should be a single contiguous partition (jaZip will only mount the first partition it encounters).
- The program now uses the latest version of XForms (version 0.89).
- The mount points are no longer removed when you unmount a disk.
- Ejecting a mounted disk will now automatically unmount it for you.
- Much more attractive icons (Big thanks to Raymond Isaac).
Go to the download page and grab yourself a copy.
Here's a screen shot of the program monitoring a Jaz drive...
a screen shot of the program monitoring a Zip drive...
and the help window (running with the Zip drive)...
Iomega®, Jaz®, Zip®, and the
logo are registered trademarks of the
which does not endorse nor sponsor this site or the software
Last updated on 08/28/00